We have all had those days where we wake up on the wrong side of the bed and find fault with everything for no reason at all. The weather is not what you had hoped, nothing sounds good for breakfast, you don’t want to work, you don’t want to stay home, your spouse is annoying you, etc. On days like that, it feels you just can’t win. It is often said that what we put out into the world is what we get back in return. So with a little effort and a few simple skills, maybe you can turn your mood around, or get some good feelings back as a return on your investment in the positive!
- At the first sign of negative feelings, stop and take a few minutes to simply breathe. Breathe in the good, breathe out the bad.
- First thing in the morning, think of something for which you are thankful. At the end of the day, do the same.
- When you find yourself angry or frustrated about a situation, ask yourself how you can find meaning in it. What is the opportunity in the problem? What can you learn from it?
- Remember that no matter what happens, be it a small dilemma or an unexpected disaster, you always have a choice in the way you handle it.
- When feeling overwhelmed, try to take a step back and look at things more objectively. Taking a different perspective can change things dramatically.
- Smile at someone. Most likely, they will smile back at you!
- Have a sense of humor about some of life’s foibles. They often make for good stories later.
- In every busy day, take a few moments to enjoy the world around you. Notice the crisp, sparkling snow or the sound of a breeze, or even the smell of a freshly mowed lawn. The world is full of simple pleasures if you choose to look for them.
Positive thinking is a choice, and it is a choice we are all free to make. Give it a try to see how it creates good feelings for you and those around you. Chances are, the good energy you put into it will be returned tenfold!
Tamra Hughes, MA, LPC http://www.thcounseling.com